Eng103 Research workplace

WELCOME

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blog 1 (Research paper topic)

Alan Makar
Prof. McCormick
Eng103. 0866
09/22/2010
Research Topic

    After evaluating my choices on which I could do my research paper on, I decided that I would like to do something in which I could relate to. As a martial artist, and practitioner in karate(Shotokan), Judo and Jujitsu, the first thing that came to mind was one of my favorite television program/Organization. Called Ultimate Fighting Championship(UFC). This is a notoriously known MMA organization, Where international competitors compete, in their weight class division evaluating their level of expertise by going head to head in a octagon. To win, the individual is to either knockout, submit their opponent or can win by decision.
   
    In this researcher paper I would like to construct a deductive argument stating why “The Ufc” should be legalized within the state of New York. In some other states within the United States this is already a legal organization in which they could conduct business. The reason for this ban is from the leading misconception that this sport is a human version of “cock fighting” . Although this misleading, because people who do naturally have this opinion, fail to think about the other sports that we are conditioned to accept like, but not limited to: boxing, kickboxing, Football and so on. Our society must stop jumping to conclusions because they are not fully aware of things and are quick to make assumptions, this is one of the big issues in our world however, that’s a different paper, haha.

    In order to do this paper I will need to gather information on the organizations records of deaths. This would be most important to indeed to prove wether the sport is as violent as stated. I would also need to look over the sportsmanship rules, when fighting. Maybe, even look into Dana Whites biography if he has a book.

So this is my outline(general):

Argument- I will argue that the UFC is an acceptably safe sport, therefore should be legalized in the State of New York.

Premise 1- Codes of conduct and rules make a safe sport.
Premise 2- Given, the UFC has a code of conduct and rules.

Conclusion- It follows then, that the UFC is a safe sport.

7 comments:

  1. I am eager to read your paper on the UFC. I am also a big fan of the sport and i disagree with the fact that it is banned in the state of New York. History shows that there are many other "mainstream" sports and activities that are more hazardous than that of mixed martial arts. Some people just don't realize the hard work and discipline it takes to master different techniques and fighting styles. They see it as an "idiotic" contest between who is stronger and could take more hits. Hopefully your paper will change those individuals minds and make them respect mixed martial arts as much as baseball and football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan, I really respect your passion of martial arts as a sport. Unfortunately, Iam one of those people that happens to think that it is very violent. On the other hand, I am interested to see how you are going to defend the sport being legalized in New York State. Question: Do you think that it glorifies violence? For example, on U-Tube teens are now fighting each other and posting them on U-Tube. Are you going to include studies about the affects of violence on youth? Also, are there any benefits (monetary) of legalizing MMA in New York?
    P.S Watch out for minor grammar errors.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slightly interested in reading your paper on the UFC. I have only watch the sport when outnumbered by fans and since I am not a fan and I know little to none about the sport I’m interested in hearing the point of view of someone who actually finds it interesting. As I was reading your blog I became even more interested in your paper when I saw that you would be including the UFC record of death, that surprised me because not that I know much about wwf but I do know that it was fake so I am interested in hearing about real fighting and the casualties that were a product of the real fighting. Thanks for peeking my interests

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. Yeah I couldn't come up with a brilliant opener. I've watched WWF since I was 5 with my uncle. I stopped when I learned it was fake, and because my mom despaired of me acting like a girl. On rare occasions I watch the UFC championships with my dad and uncles. There's a certain grace in the movements of the fighters. As for it being banned in NY, I believe the reasong is that it affects children in a negative way, and I can agree on some level with that. The way I see it, kids can be taught to fight and strategize but without a certain level of discipline, you're only promoting the next best thing to a street fight. I'd like to hear more of your arguments in your paper. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alan,
    Reading your blog has me looking forward to reading your paper in the future. Your topic is very interesting and I beleive your fairly educated on UFC terms and comditions. I honestly thaught UFC was fake and was just a front for TV but now im guessing its real and people really do get hurt. Im looking forward to you backing up your argument and proving why this sport is safe and should be legalized in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey alan

    I completly agree with your arguement that the ufc should be legalized here in NY. I believe that if you are a part of the UFC you are expecting to get hurt. It does not make sense that people can get beaten to a pulp in Nevada but they cant get the same beating here in NY. As for the comment that kids may be vunerable and will be trained for a street fight, i dont feel the same way. Every child is different some children will refrain from a fight by seeing this seeing how bad they could get hurt

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really seem like you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete